Resources for Eastern NC Residents Post-Florence


Posted on October 5th, 2018

Hurricane Florence as it approaches the eastern US

Photo credit: NPR

If you are concerned about environmental contamination, please see the resources below. Information is provided for free area well testing, for those with private drinking water wells that may have been flooded. In addition, there are resources related to disposal of hazardous waste and large oil or gas containers that may have washed up. View Flyer

River Water Quality

Are you concerned about water quality? Sound Rivers is a resource for you. You can call our main office at 252-946-7211 with any questions, and be connected with a Riverkeeper in your area.

Free Well water Testing:

If you suspect your well, primary water source, has been flooded or otherwise contaminated with bacteria as a result Hurricane Florence, you can receive a free well water test kit and analysis by the following County Health Departments. 

For each County,  the typical process is for the resident to visit the county health department office. You should have a proof of your address (i.e. electric bill). There you can fill out an application and get a test kit.

Beaufort County Residents:  Call 946-6048 for questions. Go to 220 North Market Street, Washington, NC to fill out application for free bacteria test.

Craven County Residents:  Call 252-636-4936. Or go by the health department to receive the kit and paperwork. Samples can be dropped off at the health department from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday. 2818 Neuse Blvd, New Bern, NC

Pamlico County:  203 North Street, Bayboro ,NC  252-745-5634

Lenoir County: 201 McLewean Street, Kinston, NC 252-526-4200

Jones County: 418 Hwy 58 North Unit C, 252-448-9111. View important information from Jones County Health Department (information on well testing, disinfection process, etc.)

Other ENC Counties: Contact your local health department to see if free tests are being offered.

Removal of washed up oil, gas, propane or other unknown containers:

For all Coastal residents: Call NC Emergency Management eastern branch number: 252-520-4923.  The Division of Waste Management will then respond.

Outside of Coastal Counties: Call NC Emergency Management switchboard at 919–825-2500 to report. The Division of Waste Management will then respond.

Household Hazardous Waste Collection Dates/Sites

Pamlico County – Saturday, October 13 9am-12:00pm , Pamlico County Courthouse, Highway 55 in Bayboro.

Craven County – October 13, 8am – 1pm, Craven Community College, 800 College Court, New Bern, NC

Accepted items:Latex and oil paints, used motor oil, farm pesticides, gasoline, drain openers, paint thinners, cooking oil and antifreeze.

Items not accepted include: Commercial waste, gas cylinders, explosives, ammunition, or infectious, biological or radioactive wastes.  

Related News

Ellerbe Creek Wetland Walk a wealth of shared knowledge June 20th 2024
Riverkeepers, intern go on ‘spidey-sensing’ field day June 20th 2024
Sound Rivers, Xylem team up for a Falls Lake cleanup June 20th 2024
Water Quality Specialist presented with Rotary medallion June 20th 2024
River roving: the perks of an internship June 20th 2024
Sound Rivers working with county on Slocum Creek pollution fix June 13th 2024