- This event has passed.
Friends of Mountains to Sea Trail/Sound Rivers Clean-up
March 11 @ 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM EST
Enjoy some spring sunshine with Sound Rivers and Friends of the Mountains to Sea Trail this Saturday and help keep Lick Creek and the Mountains to Sea Trail clean! Details below.
RSVP: SIGN UP FOR THE CLEAN-UP HERE!
10 A.M. MEETING SPOT: Rolling View State Recreational Area
All interested should meet in the parking lot of the Rolling View State Recreational Area at 4201 Baptist Rd, Durham, NC 27703. After discussing the clean-up project for the day and review safety, participants will split up into cleanup groups and “scatter out” to do trailhead/shoreline cleanup work. Driving directions and maps of the specific (very close) MST Trailhead cleanup locations will be provided during the introduction and overview.
Project for the day:
- The major daily task is to pick up trash and recyclables in small groups along the shoreline of Lick Creek.
- In addition, clean up litter at MST designated parking lots/trailheads along the Falls Lake Trail west section of Segment 10 at sections 12,13 & 14.
- Education about the MST and healthy watersheds.
FMST and Sound Rivers will supply all of the tools and guidance for the clean-up project. Safety vests will be provided to wear at all times during the clean-up.
Questions contact: Jennifer Browndorf or Iwona Birk.
What you will need:
- Work clothes and closed-toe shoes. Proper clothing for the weather!
- Plenty of water & snacks
- Work Gloves, if you have your own, if not we can provide you with a pair
- Litter grabbers, if you have your own, if not we can provide those to you
- Use tools carefully
- Wear a safety vest at all times
- Be aware of your surroundings, We are working near active roadways and in parking lots.
- Know your limits, Do not lift anything heavier than you can comfortably lift.
- Take breaks, drink water
- There are holes, steep banks, branches, thorns, wasps, poison ivy, ticks, chiggers, and other hazards. Please be cautious.