Sound Rivers is searching for an AmeriCorps* Volunteer! We are accepting applications for a Water Trail Education and Outreach Coordinator. This person will oversee the expanded use of the Neuse and Tar-Pamlico Water Trails, and use the trails to engage and involve the public in the awareness and protection of our waterways. The Coordinator will work with all segments of the communities along the waterways to recognize and address obstacles to use, and to better educate the public about the issues, benefits, and importance of protecting our natural resources.
Position Responsibilities and Duties
The Coordinator’s principal responsibilities are:
- Coordinating expansion of the water trails including access points and new platforms;
- Using the water trails, waterways and related ecosystems as the basis for expanded environmental awareness and education, especially targeting underserved segments of communities (e.g. Youth Kayaking program);
- Work with cities and towns to develop plans for ecotourism development;
- Address requirements and write application for National Water Trail designation for the Neuse and Tar-Pamlico Water Trail;
- Engage in educational outreach events and activities in coordination and cooperation with other environmental organizations.
Location: Washington, NC
Applications accepted until June 30, 2017
*Please note that this is for an AmeriCorps position for 10-months with a pre-determined living allowance and other benefits that include health care benefit and the Segal Education Award. All information can be found on the link provided above. **The position is subject to federal renewal of the Corporation of National and Community Service and the AmeriCorps program. At this time the Conservation Trust for North Carolina,the host program for CTNC AmeriCorps, is hopeful funding will be renewed for the AmeriCorps program. **